Assets based community development. What is right with you? What gifts has God given to you that you can use to improve your life and that of your neighbour? How can the individuals and organisation in your community work together to improve your community? Once the assets have been identified the next question is about needs. How can you use your assets to address those needs and to solve those problems.
Saturday, December 16, 2017
Ensure participation of the affected population in the assessment, design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of the assistance programme. Conduct an initial assessment to provide an understanding of the disaster situation and to determine the nature of the response. Respond when needs of an affected population are unmet by local people or organisation due to their inability or unwillingness to help. Target assistance based on vulnerability and need and provide it equitably and impartially. Aid workers must possess appropriate qualification, attitudes, and experience to plan and effectively implement appropriate assistance programmes.
A helpful first step in thinking about working with the poor in any context is to discern whether the situation calls for relief, rehabilitation or development. Relief can be defined as the urgent and temporary provision of emergency aid to reduce immediate suffering from natural our man made crisis. Rehabilitation seeks to restore people and communities to the positive elements of their precrisis condition. Development is the process on ongoing change that moves all the people close to being right relationship with God, self, others and the rest of creation.
Work is an act of worship. When people seek to fulfil their callings by glorifying God in their work, praising Him for their gifts and abilities, and seeing both their efforts and its products as an offering to Him, then work is an act of worship to God. On the other hand, when work is done to glorify oneself or merely to achieve more wealth, it becomes a worship of false gods.
Wednesday, October 18, 2017
Print a monthly newsletter to keep abreast others and to showcase our successes. Promote events, talk about the good already done and profile individual team members to give them well deserved recognition and to put a human face to the organization.
Tuesday, October 17, 2017
All users are to fill in this document:
8. The Perak Chest Society and its Board members will not be liable to the User for any injury, damage or death arising by reason of any defect in the oxygen concentrator or as a result of using the oxygen concentrator.
- Staple a card with information about the event onto existing handout tri fold brochures.
- Create photo flyers and hang them in places.
- Keep signs clear and uncluttered.
- Create custom countdown calendars to give away to generate excitement and awareness.
- Create an oversized schedule of events and display it outside the venue several weeks before the event to help people get a sense of what to expect.
- Talk up the event. Call 3 -5 people outside your circle of friends to tell them about the event. Then seek their assistance to inform their circle of friends.
Questions to be answered:
- What do you want to do?
- How much will this cost?
- How long will it take?
- Who will benefit from this project and how?
- How does teh project fit within the mission of the organisation?
Perak Chest Society will need a grant to purchase more oxgyen concentrators for loan.
Sunday, October 15, 2017
Sunday, October 8, 2017
SERVE - what you do with one another
CARE - people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care
OTHERS - look at the interest of others
RELATE - improve relationship
ENTHRONE - place God first.
Saturday, October 7, 2017
- Amount of time the leader spent with the Lord each day.
- Amount of prayer for members. Those leaders who prayed for their members everyday had groups that grew on the average twice as fast as those who only prayed for the members once or twice a week.
- Hospitality, social activity and ministry. The more time a leader and members spent together outside meetings, the faster the groups grew.
- Number of visitiors.
- Visitor follow up. It is not surprising to discover that the more visitors a group had, the faster it grew. However, the research revealed more importantly than the number of visitors a group had, was whether the visitors were followed on.
- Raising up leaders.
- Clear goals.
- Preparation for the meeting.
Thursday, October 5, 2017
Saturday, September 30, 2017
Tuesday, September 5, 2017
1. List all the characteristics one is looking for
2. Be specific
3. Match at least 2 of the characteristics
4. Play to people's strength
Sunday, July 9, 2017
Sunday, April 23, 2017
Thursday, April 20, 2017
Sunday, April 16, 2017
Mr Chin Kok Yan - Chairman, organising committee, Urban Sketchers Ipoh
Mr Phang Chew and Mr Rene Enriquez – sketch artists who will be conducting the Workshops.
On behalf of the Board Members of YMCA Lahat Road, I wish to extend a warm welcome to everyone present here today.
This is indeed a very special occasion and a great honour for me to be invited by Urban Sketchers Ipoh to launch their impressive Exhibition. Thank you. I must congratulate Mr Chin and his team for working so hard to put up this Exhibition. The sketches are very beautiful. These sketches will immortalise buildings and structures which may be torn down in future. The sketches will then remain as permanent records for our younger generations to appreciate.
Mr Chin will tell you much more about the Vision and Mission of Urban Sketchers Ipoh during his speech.
Today is also a very special day. It is Easter Sunday. Jesus Christ is alive today because he conquered death some 2000 odd years ago. He was nailed to a cross, died and raised from the dead again. He is alive today and remains faithful to His promise of eternal life.
15 Clarke Street
This building is named 15 Clarke Street. Leong Sin Nam built this row of shophouses. My parents and I used to stay at the corner shop after the Japanese Occupation. My early childhood was spent in this neighbourhood.
Upstairs we have the Leong Sin Nam Hall and the Leong Yeow Nyean Library.
Starting next year, every January, the Leong family will be organising the Leong Sin Nam Memorial Lecture and Exhibition. The Leong Sin Nam Exhibition will run for 2 weeks.
TO BE is the name of the registered company here.
YMCA Lahat Road will be conducting its activities here. Please get hold of a YMCA brochure before you leave. You can obtain up to date information from our website and do follow us in Twitter. We shall be starting the IMPACT and DISCOVER programmes next month. Please come and join us. You are encouraged to become YMCA members.
THIS SPACE AND THE HALL ABOVE ARE AVAILABLE FOR FREE TO ANY NGO OR CHARITABLE ORGANISATION WISHING TO HOLD EXHIITIONS TO SHOWCASE THEIR NOBLE CAUSES.
SJK Min Tet
In a short while I shall be inviting 3 top achievers from SJK Min Tet School to receive their prizes sponsored by the Leong Educare Trust. Next year onwards the prizes will be given away during the LSN Memorial Lecture. Leong Sin Nam founded the school in Falim and my father Leong Yeow Nyean was very supportive of its activities.
Urban Sketchers Ipoh Exhibition opening programme
Arrival of Guests
Welcome Speech by Dr Leong Oon Keong
Appreciation speech by Mr Chin Kok Yan
Prize giving to SJK Min Tet