This was a fortified merchant stopover built by Sultan Alaeddin of the Ottoman empire in 1299. It was located along the silk road in Asia Minor. They were places for the merchants to stay with separate enclosures for animals. At the centre was a surau for worship. Later these places served as transit points for soldiers and pilgrims to Mecca.